If you’ve ever researched long-distance running, you might have read about the importance of wearing the right kind of shoes. When you are running, you need the kind of shoes that will promote proper form when you are running, where your knees and hips are in line with your feet.
Having comfort and support when you are running for hours at a time is of crucial importance. You won’t want any blisters appearing on your feet, as this will severely impede your ability to run for long distances at a time. You’ll also want a shoe that keeps sweat build-up to an absolute minimum.
You’ll also want a running shoe that is flexible, giving you enough support in the midsole and flexibility in the heel. You’ll also want plenty of wriggle room in the toe box, otherwise, you’ll expect to have cramping in the feet, which will be very difficult for you to maintain a certain speed.
So where can you get some of these amazing pairs of long-distance running shoes? What features does a decent pair of running shoes need to have? What is the most comfortable design for a pair of running shoes? How much will a pair of these running shoes cost you?
Well, if you want the answer to some of these questions and a whole lot more, then we would suggest that you keep reading. We have compiled a list of some of the best shoes that you can currently find on the market, along with a buyer’s guide that will help you to find out which exactly are the best running shoes for your needs.
List Of The Best Long Distance Running Shoes
This first pair of shoes has a wonderful gel technology in the lining to be sure that the inside of your trainer fits completely snugly with the contours of your foot. This is an update of a previous shoe where the cushioning was a little too thick and actually restricted the movement of the foot. Any issues with that are gone with the new version – introducing ASICS Men’s Gel-Nimbus Lite 2 Running Shoes.
This shoe comes with plenty of sustainable materials, so you can be sure that you’ll have everything that you need for a very comfortable run. It has soft mesh on the inside of the shoe that will help the foot to breathe and reduce the amount of sweat that builds up. This also comes with a wider platform that enhances stability.
- This has soft upper padding in the foot, so the laces won’t rub against you and cause you to chase on the top of the foot.
- This shoe is made from very sustainable materials, which makes it great for anyone who is environmentally conscious and wants their shoes to last.
- This shoe can be worn by anyone running anywhere between 6 and 7 miles quite comfortably. They are made from durable materials and will last the test of time.
- This will change the game when it comes to running shoes, they are very supportive in the midsole and roomy in the toe box.
- The heel is a little loose, which might be a pain if you are running the maximum 7-mile distance.
- FLYTEFOAM technology - Provides lightweight cushioning that's made with sustainable materials
- Recycled Content Upper - Lightweight, breathable and sustainable material comprise our soft upper.
- GEL technology cushioning - Provides excellent shock absorption
- I.G.S (Impact Guidance System) design philosophy helps generate a more consistent gait -
- Sustainable sockliner dye -
This trainer is a great shoe for running on the tarmac, giving you plenty of cushioning on the inside and the outside. This shoe has great traction, with a dual-density foam lining that gives you a more cushioned heel but a more solid midfoot. This has a curved sole that aids the heel-toe transitions – introducing Hoka One One Men’s Clifton 7 Running Shoe.
This shoe is very lightweight, giving you everything that you need for a long-distance run in terms of speed and foot alignment. You can be certain that you won’t have much in the way of drag, as these shoes are designed to be completely aerodynamic. This will keep your foot stable and locked in for the whole run.
- This shoe is completely aligned, so if you are flat-footed or have a slight deformation, this shoe will do its best to correct that.
- These trainers are very flexible as well as light, practically molding themselves to the foot when you are running.
- This has a very soft insole that is comfortable enough for you to run in for hours at a time. You can be certain that you’ll have everything that you need for a smooth heel-toe transition.
- This has a really good insole construction, meaning that you won’t have to worry about foot irritation.
- This shoe has maybe too much cushioning on the inside. If it’s the flexibility that you’re after, you might be more inclined to pick another trainer.
- Breathable open engineered mesh upper with seamless synthetic overlays
- Breathable textile lining for abrasion-free wear
- Removable, foam padded insole for cushioning and support
- Durable full-length EVA midsole to absorb shock and offer stability
- Durable sole with rubber inserts for grip
This is definitely the softest and the most cushioned shoe on the market, with a layer of very plush Enerzy foam that is covering the entire inside of the shoe. If you want the inside of your shoe to absorb plenty of moisture and give you padding when you are hitting the hard footpath or gravel trail, then you can’t go wrong with a pair of these – introducing Mizuno Men’s Wave Rider 25 Running Shoe.
This is built with a very flat and wide plate, so it will be very accommodating for that wide-toed spread that you get from repeated running. This will give you great energy transfer from the pavement to your foot. It is also curved, so it will be much more accommodating for the natural arch of your foot.
- This shoe is very springy, giving you that little extra lift-off when you are running on harder surfaces.
- This will mold itself very well to the inside of your shoe, so you won’t have to worry about it working against your foot.
- This is filled with moisture-wicking foam and mesh on the inside that you can be sure will give you the maximum level of comfort and dryness.
- If you are running long distances, then inner shoe comfort will be of the utmost importance. Luckily, this shoe is filled with Enerzy foam, which will be very responsive to your foot.
- The length of the underside of this shoe is a whopping 12 mm, which might be a little too much for pro runners who like flexibility.
- MIZUNO ENERZY (FOAM): Offering versatility in its application, while still maintaining softness and resilience. It will help enhance performance capabilities.
- MIZUNO WAVE: The MIZUNO WAVE plate disperses energy from impact to a broader area providing a stable platform and a superior cushioning.
- X10 Outsole: Durable carbon rubber that allows for longer wear.
- U4ic Midsole: Delivers optimal shock reduction, durability, and a superior ride. Innovatively light, well cushioned, responsive, and resilient.
- Engineered Mesh Upper: Both breathable and durable for high performance.
This next trainer is great for any young ones that like going out running for over an hour. This is filled with very responsive Cushlon foam, which is very light and bouncy, giving you everything that you need for a flexible underfoot. The outsole of this shoe also has flex grips that will help you grip onto the dirt – introducing the Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 38 Little/Big kids’ Running Shoe.
This shoe is simply great for off-road running. If you are hitting the shale path on a regular basis, then we would suggest that you pick up a pair of these trainers. This is made from a thick rubber that you can be sure that you’ll have everything that you need to hit the rough gravel paths on a regular basis.
- This is great for long-distance off-road running, giving you everything that you need for a comfortable ride.
- This is great for kids even with smaller feet, which a breathable inside that you can be sure will give you maximum comfort.
- This has a deeper heel that will prevent you from slipping and causing yourself any serious injury.
- This is another great shoe for off-road running. They are also very reasonably priced, meaning that you could even buy a backup pair in case the first ones fail.
- You should try running with these shoes for about 20 miles in order to break them in. This might not be a suitable pair of first-time competition shoes.
This next pair of trainers really are built to last, with plenty of comfort on the inside, with a snug fit and a very resilient outer rubber casing. This redesigned midsole will give you everything that you need for that strong and solid support, with a softness designed to alleviate the pressure in certain sensitive zones – introducing New Balance Men’s Fresh Foam.
This pair of shoes is designed to alleviate the stress on your ankles and is overall a much lighter shoe than some of the other pairs on this list. There is nothing worse than running long distances and developing cramps or even blisters. Having comfort and ventilation with wire mesh is crucial for keeping your foot aerated.
- This shoe is very lightweight, which will be very helpful when you are running for longer than 10 miles at a time.
- Designed to be very aerodynamic, this will also keep your foot in total alignment with your knees, hips and back. This will really alleviate any strain from repeated running on hard surfaces.
- You’ll sometimes need a shoe that can run just as easily on concrete as it can on grass and sand, especially if you are traversing long distances. These are the perfect shoes for that reason.
- This shoe has a perfect blend of comfort, weight and design. They are also extremely stylish, fitting in with most sports apparel and coming in a wide range of exciting colors.
- This shoe has been described by some runners as being too bulky to take them across long distances.
- 10 mm drop; due to variances created during the development and manufacturing processes, all references to 10 mm drop are approximate
- Engineered double jacquard mesh upper for breathability
- Fresh Foam midsole cushioning is precision engineered to deliver an ultra-cushioned, lightweight ride
- Lace closure ensures a secure fit
- Molded external heel counter helps control heel movement
And we’ve really saved the best until last in this instance. This one is great in terms of design and the price that you’ll end up paying for them. The midsole on this shoe is very lightweight, meaning that you practically won’t feel them on your feet when you are running – introducing Reebok Men’s Floatride Energy 3.0 Running Shoe.
This has a very flexible underfoot, which will allow you to negotiate plenty of rocks and shaly paths that would be difficult to do with a more rigid shoe. This has been adjusted in the upper to give you maximum comfort on the top of the foot, which does tend to rub against the laces when they are tied tightly.
- This has a very comfortable heel collar, which won’t rub against the back of your foot, another common problem for the long-distance runner.
- This shoe has been made to be very lightweight and aerodynamic. You won’t have to worry about this one dragging your foot down when you are going for that final mile stretch.
- This has a mesh that is made from eucalyptus bark and is made with no petroleum. This is perfect for anyone who wants to reduce the amount of wastage and pollution in the environment.
- This is a very smooth ride on a trainer, although the smoothness does not extend as far as the harder outside, which will be able to traverse hard tarmac and gravel paths with ease.
- This lacks the stability of a lot of other shoes, so it might not be suitable for runners who have a natural misalignment in their running posture.
- Rubber Sole
When you are looking to buy a new running shoe, then there are features that you simply must have to make the experience all the smoother and avoid any injury. Here are some of the features that you’ll be wanting to look for when buying your next pair of running shoes:
How Snug Do They Fit?
Now, you don’t want to confuse snugness with tightness. You’ll need to make sure that the inside of your shoe has some wriggle room, especially in the toes where it can often become very cramped.
You’ll also want plenty of room in the heel also, as this will be the place where your foot will repeatedly rub and often cause dry skin and even blisters. You’ll want something that is very comfortable against the natural contours of your foot.
How Breathable Are They?
You’ll hear this word a lot with any type of trainer. This just means how much moisture and sweat will be dispersed from the inside of your shoe. You’ll also need to be sure that the temperature of your foot is kept nice and cool, as this will be the area where most of the irritation and heat is accumulated.
Ideally, you’ll want a shoe that contains wire mesh, which has little holes that will gradually disperse the heat that is built up in the foot. This will also cradle the foot nicely, providing you with support and a little stability, especially in the midfoot.
How Much Support Do They Give You?
Having a shoe that is made from durable rubber material will be very important if you are going for long-distance running. You’ll want a mixture of flexible rubber and synthetic materials, as this will support your foot but not necessarily lock it into one position. You can often get shoes that are too rigid and this will cause you to cramp.
You’ll also need a wide platform on the underside of your shoe. You’ll need a platform that accommodates the natural spread of your toes on the inside of your shoe. This will also help your foot to breathe more, keeping the sweat levels down and reducing the chafing in between the toes.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Best Material For A Long Distance Running Shoe?
Ideally, you’ll want something that is made out of rubber and fabric materials. The rubber will be the bottom and the main body of the shoe, while your fabric will be for the top, helping the foot to breathe and disperse moisture.
You’ll also need rubber for the bottom, especially if you are going to be running over gravel and shale, as this will quickly wear down this material as time goes on. You’ll want something that can be worn down enough without reaching the underside of your foot.
You can also get shoes that have metal components, especially in the sole of the shoe. These trainers are generally reserved for hardcore runners who travel more than 10 miles a day.
Our Final Say
We hope that our list of some of the best trainers for long-distance running has helped you to decide which are the best for your running needs. Make sure that your running shoe has enough stability as well as moisture-wicking properties, as this will eventually cause your shoe to degrade over time.