If you are thinking about getting into running, then you’ll need the right apparel. Running in the wrong clothing can really impede your mobility, resulting in impaired running form and even injury. You won’t want clothes that are too clingy or will impede the natural movement of your legs.
Having the right pair of running shorts is very important. You won’t want anything that restricts the blood flow around the thighs and will cause you chafing. You’ll also want moisture-wicking properties so that the amount of sweat that builds up will not negatively affect your running style.
The key to having the right pair of shorts for running will be the length. You’ll want to make sure that your shorts stop above the waist to promote maximum freedom of movement when you are running. Having too much excess material will result in chafing and might feel heavy when you run.
So what exactly are the best shorts that you can buy for running? What is the best material for a pair of running shorts? What is the right cut and design to promote completely free running? How much will you have to pay for a decent pair of running shorts?
Well, if you want the answer to these questions and a whole lot more, then we would suggest that you keep reading. We have compiled a list of some of the best running shorts that you can find on the market. We also have a buyer’s guide and a frequently asked questions list that will help you to decide which are the best-suited shorts for you.
List Of Best Running Shorts
Our first pair of shorts is the best in terms of comfort and style. These sleek black shorts have plenty of room to maneuver, coming at knee height, you can be certain that you’ll have everything that you need for an unrestricted, long-distance run – introducing Nike Flex Men’s Woven Training Shorts.
There is increased ventilation in the areas that will often be rubbing together, so you can be sure that there’s be less sweat damage, blisters and chafing. This will also reduce the amount of sweat that will accumulate in your clothes, often leading to things like sweat rot.
- This has a zipper pocket that you can use to store your iPod or your mobile phone. This will be very handy to anyone who likes to run with some music to motivate them.
- This has plenty of moisture-wicking technology that will reduce the amount of sweat and therefore the amount of sweat damage and chafing that you might experience.
- These shorts are very lightweight, which will be very important when you are running, as they will not keep your weight down or interfere with your natural running form.
- These shorts stop just above the knee, resulting in much less of a restrictive experience when you are running.
- These shorts can be slightly flimsy and might wear out a lot quicker than some of the other brands on this list.
- elastic waistband, and convenient front hand pockets
- An inner mesh pocket helps keep your essentials secure
This next pair of shorts are very versatile, giving you everything that you’ll need for a confident and long-distance run. They come in a wide variety of lengths, where you want the 3-inch split shorts or the below-the-knee 5- and 6-inches – introducing the New Balance Men’s Impact Run 5-Inch Shorts.
This is made with very breathable wire mesh material that is very lightweight and easy to use, along with side panels that are poked with holes and extremely well-ventilated. You can be sure of having plenty of sweat release with this pair of shorts. You’ll also be able to have freedom of leg movement, as these shorts do not restrict your form.
- These shorts come in a wide variety of lengths, meaning that if you prefer longer leg coverage for those winter runs, then you have a perfectly suitable model.
- These have pretty durable pockets with zips that you can use for carrying your iPods, wallet, keys and mobile phone.
- These shorts are black and very stylish, they will fit in with most other sportswear apparel, meaning that you won’t look dumb and mismatched in the gym.
- These shorts have great sweat-wicking capabilities, coming in a lightweight material that you won’t even feel against your skin.
- If you select the 3-inch shorts, then you won’t have anything in the way of pockets, which might not be that suitable if you want to keep your wallet and keys on you.
- NB DRY fast-drying technology pulls moisture away from your body to help you work out with ease
- Soft, lightweight woven fabric
- Athletic fit designed to rise close to your body and skim the hip and thigh — perfect for active movement with a fit that’s not too tight
- Elastic waistband with internal drawstring
- Inner brief for added comfort
This next pair of shorts are probably amongst the most popular on our list, coming in a wonderfully lightweight material that gives you a completely unrestricted movement when you are running. These shorts are breathable and supportive – introducing Brooks Sherpa 5-inch Shorts.
This pair of shorts has a very snug waistband which will not cut into your if you are running for a long period of time. The legs are very mobile in these shorts, they will not cling to your thighs and they stop just above the knee, giving you complete freedom of movement. They also have great sweat-wicking properties.
- The design – this has a cut that will fit snugly to your body but will not cling to your thighs when you are exerting your legs to their full range of motion.
- These shorts are very breathable, giving you everything that you’ll need for a reduced level of sweat, which will reduce chafing and blisters on your inner thigh.
- These shorts stop just at the knee, so you can be sure that you’ll have the full range of motion when you are running. This will be very important for those that want to maximize muscle movement.
- This will get rid of sweat in a lot of the areas where they build-up, such as in between the thigh and around the buttocks.
- Some users have complained that these shorts tend to wear out around the undercarriage after a few months.
This next pair of shorts is really amazing for support and a lightweight feel, with a dual-layer that will help to support you when you are running. These shorts have great moisture-wicking qualities that you can be sure will reduce chafing and blisters, allowing you to run for longer – introducing the Columbia Men’s Titan UltraLight Shorts.
These shorts have some amazing built-in design features, such as the UV protection that you’ll get during those warm summer months. This will stop your legs from burning when you are running in the hot weather. They also have a wire mesh on the underside that will help support you, which is especially useful for long-distance runs.
- These shorts have dual layers that will keep you supported, which will help reduce chafing and having to use vaseline on long-distance runs.
- These shorts will protect all your covered areas from the sun, but you’ll still have to make sure you’re wearing sunblock on your legs.
- These shorts come in a wide variety of sizes, so you can get short shorts for sprinting and longer shorts for more long-distance running during the cold seasons.
- You also have a zipper pocket in the back that is deep enough to carry your music player or your wallet.
- Some users have complained that these shorts have perished after a certain period of time.
- OMNI-SHIELD - Go ahead, try and get dirty. Omni-Shield helps you stay clean and dry by resisting the absorption of liquids. Unlike most fabrics that absorb moisture, Omni-Shield repels moisture and dries quickly—avoiding stains and keeping you clean.
- HANDY FEATURES: Columbia Men's Titan Ultra II Short features one back security pocket and two side pockets to secure your smaller items.
- ADJUSTABLE FEATURES: A partial elastic waist provides adjustable comfort that allows for free movement.
- ACTIVE FIT: This short features an active to give you total range of motion during intense workouts and activities.
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Columbia Men's Titan Ultra II Short features our signature wicking fabrics to keep you cool and dry, UPF 40 to protect against harmful sun rays, and sweat-activated super-cooling.
This next pair of shorts is the marathon runner’s favorite, with a longer pair of shorts that will give you greater leg coverage and will help you when you are running in colder climates. They are made from an amazingly lightweight material that will get rid of sweat as you run – introducing Gore Wear Men’s 2-in-1 Breathable Running Shorts.
This has two layers, one that is stretchy on the inside and one that is much more loose and comfortable on the outside. This will really help to give you support when you are running long distances, reducing the risk of chafing and not restricting your movements to the point of injury.
- You can get these shorts in a wide range of colors, from black to yellow, so you can easily get a pair of shorts that is in accordance with your personality.
- This one has a high waistband, which will give you that extra security when you are running for over an hour.
- This has a zipper on the back that you can use to store all your personal possessions. You won’t have to worry about your things getting lost if you are going for a spontaneous run outdoors.
- You also have supplementary pockets on this one, which will allow you to store smaller items such as vaseline or sunglasses.
- The high waistband on these shorts might be a little too uncomfortable for anyone who is running long distances.
- Men's running shorts for street runners and cross-country runners in warm weather conditions
- Tight fit/Runner specific cut
- GORE Selected Fabrics: Fast moisture wicking and extremely breathable
- Zip pocket on the back, Adjustable waistband, 2 side pockets, Stretch-Material
- GORE R7 2in1 Shorts, Size: L, Color: Black, 100463
Our final pair of shorts have plenty of colling properties, with a Ceramicool technology that will keep you cool the faster that you run. This will be invaluable to anyone who wants to run for longer than two hours. These 2-in-1 shorts will be great if you’re running in the boiling hot summer sun also – introducing Odlo Zero-weight Shorts.
This has a zipped pocket in the back of its pocket, allowing you to keep your personal possession with you at all times. This dual-layer will actually not add to your body, rather the smart technology will make the shorts a lot more breathable. These are probably the best shorts to have if you are doing desert running.
- A lot of hardcore professional athletes really rate these shorts, mainly for the cooling properties that they offer.
- You can be sure that you’ll have everything that for a long-distance run in the baking heat – this will keep you cool in between the thighs where the heat can reach unmanageable levels.
- This waistband is very comfortable and will make sure that the air keeps circulating, letting out some of the hot air that the body can give off.
- These shorts are some of our favorites on this list, they help to get rid of moisture and are ideal for running in arid areas.
- These shorts do not have much in the way of built-in technology for colder weather. You might actually find yourself more chilly when you run in these shorts.
- Weightless Feel - Extremely lightweight and won't hold you back.
- Four-Way Stretch - Allows a wide range of different movements.
- Moisture Wicking - Sweat is wicked away from the top extremely efficiently and effectively .
- Quick Dry - The fabric will dry extremely quickly, returning the shorts to their original weight.
- Flat-Lying Seams - Reduced risk of irritation by rubbing and chafing.
If you are considering long-distance running or sprinting as a regular activity, then you should definitely invest in the right equipment. You might not think shorts are that important, but for hardcore runners, they reduce their core body temperature and can actually help prevent injury over a long period of time.
Here are some things that you should be looking for in your next pair of running shorts:
How Long Are They?
Having shorts of a definite length is very important if you are running for a long time. Having a pair of 3-inch shorts that stop just above the knee will be very important for cooling down your legs. This is because the middle of the thighs is where the legs will rub together and a lot of the heat will be generated.
You can get running shorts that are slightly longer, this will mostly be for those people who are running in colder areas. Another reason to wear very short shorts is to ensure that your legs are not restricted in their movement while you are running.
What Material Are They Made From?
Having a thin yet durable material will be very important for running, as you’ll want something that gets rid of the right amount of sweat and does not succumb to the dreaded sweat rot over time.
You’ll need a thin and breathable material that allows plenty of air circulation when you are running. This will reduce sweat, which can cause blisters and chafing, which will certainly cut short your long-distance run.
How Much Do They Cost?
If you are thinking of running long distances regularly, then you’ll be expecting a certain degree of wear and tear on your shorts, especially where the thighs come into contact. So, having shorts that will be reasonably priced will help you when you are picking out multiple pairs as a backup.
Having shorts that cost more will not necessarily guarantee that you will be getting all the features that you need. Some shorts tend to be very overpriced, so make sure that they are adapted for long-distance running before you invest in a very expensive pair.
Are They Visible During The Night-Time?
Nighttime visibility will be very important when you are running during the evening. Having the right pair of shorts will definitely distinguish you from the surrounding darkness. This will be especially important if you are running near areas where there might be cars late at night.
Do They Offer UV Protection?
Some shorts on the list above have protection from the bright UV rays, which is very important if you are running in extreme desert conditions without any cloud coverage. If you are running outdoors, the weather can often change very quickly, so you need to be prepared for all eventualities.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Should Running Shorts Be?
Most running shorts will be only 3-inches long, as this will stop them from impeding the natural movement of your legs. If you are sprinting, having shorts that do not restrict your movement in the thighs will be very important.
You can get shorts that are longer and shorts that extend below the knee will be useful if you are running for long distances in very cold weather. We would also recommend long shorts for hotter weather, especially if they offer UV protection.
Should Shorts Be Ventilated?
If you are running for over half an hour, then the shorts should be as well-ventilated as possible. If you are sweating a lot, then you can be expected to chafe a lot. Rather than use vaseline, another way to circumvent this is by making sure there is plenty of air circulating between your legs.
Our Final Say
We hope that our list of running shorts has helped you to make a decision that is right for you. You’ll need to make sure that your legs are not restricted when you are running for over an hour. You’ll also need to reduce the level of sweat that is absorbed by your shorts.